Seafood Pineapple Salad – there is a story behind this recipe. A follower of mine on my youtube channel asked me to make a pineapple recipe using the pineapple’s peel as the serving bowl. So, I was a bit challenged. One time after that, my family and I had our dinner at a seafood restaurant. One of the foods we ordered from their menu was a seafood salad. That inspired me to make my own version with a twist.
This recipe is very easy to make. The seafood I used is shrimp and squid which I fried, and then I added some fresh pineapple chunks; tossed in thousand island dressing. And of course, the pineapple’s peel as my serving bowls. Surprisingly, my version of seafood pineapple salad tasted even better.
Before I fried the shrimp and squid, I soak it first in milk for a few minutes to tenderize. It is not necessary for the shrimp but I soak it too anyway.
SEAFOOD PINEAPPLE SALAD INGREDIENTS:
- 400 grams squid (cut into rings)
- 400 grams shrimp (deveined)
- 1 ½ cup pineapple chunks
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups fresh milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup Thousand island dressing
- 2-3 cups Vegetable oil for frying
- CLEAN THE SQUID: Pull the head of the squid from its body and remove all internal parts and tentacles. Peel the outer skin and discard. Under cold running water, wash the squid inside and outside to remove remaining tissues.
- Drain and pat dry. Cut the body into rings.
- CLEAN THE SHRIMP: Remove the skin and devein. Wash and pat dry
- Pour milk in two separate bowls and soak the squid for 30 minutes and shrimp for 15 minutes. Drain seafood and discard milk.
- In another bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, garlic, pepper powder, and salt. Stir to combine. Toss the squid and shrimp in flour mixture to fully coat.
- In a pan over medium heat, heat oil and fry the coated shrimp and squid in batches. Turn as needed. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until crisp and brown. Remove from pan and drain over a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine fried shrimp, squid, pineapple and thousand island dressing and mix well.
- Place 2-3 lettuces inside the pineapple bowl. Scoop enough serving of seafood pineapple salad and place it carefully in the pineapple bowl.
- Serve and enjoy!